direkt zum Inhalt springen

direkt zum Hauptnavigationsmenü

Sie sind hier

TU Berlin

Page Content

History of the School

Professor Mike Schlaich took over as Head Professor starting 1st October.

Professor Manfred Specht was instated as the new Head Professor. Unlike his predecessor he built on the focus point of the research by Franz Dischinger with an emphasis laid on prestressed bridge engineering. The objective of his research centered on prestressing without connection and external prestressing. Other research projects were dedicated to (Querkrafttragverhalten\Lateral Load Support Transfer) and time dependent components of reinforced concrete.

Professor Franz Dischinger was succeeded by Professor Werner Koepcke. A focal point of his teaching and research activities was the development of the Theory of Shell Construction. His substantial achievement was however in the building and development of the chair for Theoretical Methods of Construction and Transportation.


The Technical Academy of Charlottenburg renamed The Technical University of Berlin and was reopened on 9, April. At the same time the Institute of Steel Concrete Construction was renamed to Institute of Reinforced Concrete. Prof. Franz Dischinger stayed as tenured professor. Between 1946 - 1953, further emphasis was laid on the development of Pre-Stressed concrete. The development of cantilever construction in Solid Bridge construction also found focus during this time.

The Technical Academy of Charlottenburg was closed.

Franz Dischinger headed the institute after Prof. Hermann Boost. Even before his appointment at the Technical Academy of Charlottenburg, he was significantly involved in the development of shell structures. Prof. Franz Dischinger's research work lied lay close to theoretical considerations of curved plate structures in the investigation of time dependent deformation behaviour of concrete. Especially the explanation of Creep behaviour in concrete was critical for the development of prestressed concrete engineering, surmised was the next focal point of the Professor’s research.


Post reforms at the Technical Academy of Charlottenburg, in 1922, 4 schools (Fakultät) were established. One of these was Fakultät II which included Civil Engineering and Architecture. Fakultät II also included the Institute for Building Construction and the Institute of Bridge Engineering which were headed by Professor Hermann Boost. During the time of Professor Boost, the Institute of Steel Concrete Construction was also established.

Zusatzinformationen / Extras

Quick Access:

Schnellnavigation zur Seite über Nummerneingabe